Dental Hygienist promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis, provide oral cancer screening and radiographic studies. The Dental Hygienist charts conditions of decay and disease. Dental Hygienist will perform procedures in compliance with the dental practice set forth by practice providers.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- Prepare treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, seating and draping the patient.
- Maintain patient appearance.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient’s oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by removing calculus and plaque from all surfaces of teeth.
- Remove stains and deposits from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession.
- Take radiographs to determine patient health and needs.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluoride and other cavity preventing agents.
Education level and experience required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Associate Degree in Dental Hygiene required, Bachelors preferred
- 2 + years experience as Dental Hygienist
- CPR Certification preferred
- X-Ray Certification required
- Basic understanding and knowledge of HIPPA privacy rules